Friday, September 4, 2009

Handmade Nation Weekend



So...
I am so excited for the debut movie of Handmade Nation at the Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar this Sunday,Sunday,Sunday! The movie is showing at 1:30 and 4:10 with a Q & A to follow with director, Faythe Levine, and several of the films' crafty ladies. There will also be a Craft Bazaar noon-6pm at the movie premier and my very own EtsyAustin team members which are the owners of The Wondercraft, http://thewondercraft.com/, will be doing craft demos. This event is free to the public. I got my tickets today and I am going to the book signing at Domy Books Sat. night. There is also a Swap and Sew Saturday from 12-6 pm at space12.org. For a really good calendar of events, check out naughtysecretaryclub.blogspot.com.

This brings me to how I got started with my own craftyness. When I started roller derby, I needed a way to embellish my dress and make it my own. I went to an art show at Gallery Lombardi, (I think...as it is now defunct, which sucks, because it was a great space), in which Jenny Hart was showing her work and selling some patterns.
Amongst her patterns were roller derby girls! BAM! I was hooked and rekindled my love of being crafty and creative.






As you can see, this was my first go at embroidery and not very clean... (especially on stretchy fabric). I am a jewelry artist by trade and love it, but honestly, I have more fun doing my crafts a lot of the time. With my jewelry, I am very type A and very hard on myself. With my crafts there is freedom. Freedom to relax, freedom to make mistakes, freedom to just make. Since then, I have gotten a bit better and have even taught a class.
This is a custom embroidered leather motorcycle seat with a Mexican wrestler mask applique. Getting a little better.





Anywho...go, create, see the movie and be inspired. I know I will!

No comments: