Sunday, September 20, 2009

Handmade Nation Weekend Review





Well, here I am at Domy in Austin,TX for the booksigning of Handmade Nation. I am proudly standing behind the author Faythe Levine and one of the artists featured in the book, Kathie Sever based here in Austin and who's company is Ramonsterwear. She makes beautifully embroidered one-of-a-kind and limited edition cowboy shirts and kids clothing. Very cool!!




This is me and Whitney Lee of Made With Sweet Love...awesome hook latch rugs and kits and super-cool woman. I was her first autograph EVER....SWEET!!!



And lastly...here I am with one of the co-founders of Knitta Please based in Houston. They take there crafts to the streets and hit otherwise dull things like street signs and lamp posts with a colorful piece that was knit by a group of like minded knit bombers. Also here is Jennifer Perkins of Naughty Secretary Club based here in Austin as well. Her jewelry is fun, creative and bitchin.
Let's talk film. I went over to the Alamo Draft House to catch the premiere of Handmade Nation on Sunday and was not disappointed. I was inspired, captivated and let's face it...jealous. That is what all us crafters aspire to, at least me, to be able to make a living off of our art and craft businesses. At least that is what I was thinking through most of the movie, hell, until about an hour or two after the movie. But then as I thought about the movement and how much this has done for my life and brought me back from the creative dead, I realized that is the point. I love what I do and I love to inspire others, most importantly my kids. I thank the women and men who have made me want to create and become my own person. I thank the people who make me want to succeed in my own right. I am thankful for being part of this movement.

No comments: