Saturday, April 25, 2009

My first thought provoking post


Do you ever have those days when you wonder what the hell your doing? I actually have them all the time. Does anyone like my stuff? Am I talented at all? I don't have the money or the time to be creative and try to do a show and sell it...why do it at all. It's like I am making this stuff that will just sit around my house because I do not know how to promote it...yadah, yadah, yadah. But you know, that it not what it is supposed to be about. You make and create because it is who you are. It's like water, you cannot survive unless you are being creative. So screw it. You create art for arts sake, not for commerce. If you happen to sell something, then great, but that it not why you create. My husband has to remind me of this all the time. Yes, I would love to quite my day job and make things full time. But, I am not going to stop doing art even if I do not make a dime at it. I recommend watching the documentary POPaganda: The Art & Crimes of Ron English. It will remind you why we do what we do. Art for arts sake is something we should all try to do a little more often. Yes, the guy does make a lot of money, but he does bring art to the masses for free. I am rambling, sorry, but just thought I would put that out there to my fellow artists and crafters. Until my next rant...CoreyDylan

3 comments:

Beth H said...

hey Corey, I think we all feel this way at times! or at least I do. just keep on keepin' on - your stuff is great!

Glint Gear said...

I agree with Beth! Your work is great! I love the humor, skill, and "all over the board" uniqueness of what you do. I am having similar feelings this week after experience sales of $20 a month each month. I had a meltdown at the sewing machine last Saturday and haven't sewn since. I've been working on updating photos instead. I know I'll get back on the horse! It's refreshing to see your post and know you are not alone! I agree - creating is what we MUST do, and I'm so committed to Glint Gear, that I can't stop! Even if none of them sell and I end up wearing them all myself! What a collection that would be. Let's all encourage each other to keep creating! It's easy to get lost in the details, isn't it? :)

even eve said...

wow, I've Totally felt like this before! And my husband is my biggest fan/encourager too. I like etsy but sometimes I have to remind myself or be reminded to not get upset if only my friends buy my stuff and I work retail forever. That what I create comes on it's own schedule and it is ok to just chill and take a break for a while and I don't have to feel like a loser if I'm never successful or not productive for a day and it's OK to not meet my quota of what I feel I should accomplish for a day. Look at me I rambled on too... it's contagious.